Your Guide to Complete AC Maintenance
Given the amount which is incurred on maintaining the air conditioning and heating system, it is pertinent that you efficiently use your equipment. Keeping this in mind, the following guide aims at bringing forth some easy ways of keeping the units maintained. I am sure that you wouldn’t have come across them before. Let us begin with it!
- Why & How to Fix Leakage in Your Unit: A study revealed that ducts can lose up to 30% of airflow due to leakage. So, in such a scenario, it is important that you find leaks. Wondering! How to find leaks? Don’t worry, that is why it is titled ‘why and how’. Now the question comes of how to find leaks in your unit? The first and obvious option is to call your nearest expert of Air conditioner repair in Dallas. Otherwise, I have a back-up plan as well. This is the good old smoke trick wherein you light a stick of incense and hold it where the unit and the window frame meet. If you have a central air-conditioner, hold the stick near duct connections. If the smoke disperse around the region, it means that there is leakage.
Temporary Solution: To seal small gaps, use foil tape and duct mastic to seal the larger ones. If you own a window AC, stuff foam between the equipment and the window frame and tape the area.
- Why & How to Insulate: it is always recommended that ducts located in the hot attics or crawl spaces should be wrapped. This keeps the air within them cool.
Temporary Solution: To wrap them up, again, you may call your servicemen of AC repair in Dallas. Else, you may use batt insulation, spray foam or rigid foam insulation. If you are using rigid insulation or seal batt, use only foil tape instead of duct tape.
- Why & How to Keep Your Unit Cool for Better Effectiveness: If you keep your heating and air-conditioning unit in shades during the day, you can extend the life of your equipment.
Temporary Solution: To do this, you can install awnings over your air-conditioning units. The second highly recommended option is to run the AC unit in conjunction with floor or ceiling fans. This will help in circulating cooler air all over the place.
- Why & How to Get That Perfect Airflow in Your Room: Don’t shut your rooms! This is specifically true to the central AC units because shutting too many doors may cause suffocation and your system might go out of balance.
Temporary Solution: Therefore, for a balanced airflow in the entire house, keep doors slightly ajar.
- Why & How to Change Filters: It is prudent that you change your filters each month. Clean filters serves two purposes namely –
- Spreads germ-free air
- Increases air-conditioners’ efficiency
Temporary Solution: If you own a filter which is easily washable, you do not need to buy a new one each month. However, if you don’t have, look for the filter with higher MERV (minimum efficiency reporting value). This higher the grading, the better filtration.
- Why & How to Service Your Unit’s Condenser: In a central air-conditioning unit, both compressor and the condenser are located outside the house. To get maximum efficiency, it is better that you make the area free of obstructions.
Temporary Solution: Keep the area free from shrubs, dust, grass, leaves etc. If you have a window air-conditioning unit, ensure that it is not placed in a place which receives direct sunlight. If you are facing problem in installation, ring in the best provider of AC installation in Dallas.
- Why & How to Maintain Your Air-Conditioning Unit: If you want to receive minimum utility bills and that your unit functions outstandingly throughout, get somebody on maintenance. A yearly check-up is mandatory which will go beyond cleaning up your filters.
Permanent Solution: The expert professional of your AC service in Dallas will go beyond just cleaning and replacing filters. Some of the tasks include –
- Cleaning and inspecting coils
- Adjusting and replacing fan belts
- Cleaning and checking blowers and fans
- Checking refrigerant and pressures
- Lubricating motors and bearings
- Inspecting controls and safeties
- Verifying operating temperatures